Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What's In My Bag? - Krist Novoselic

Premiere Los Angeles record store Amoeba Music holds all sorts of in-store performances and various artist signings on a weekly basis, so it's no surprise that these musicians do a little shopping during their respective visits. And in a cool little section of their website called "What's in My Bag", the store features short videos of random artists talking about some of their recent purchases. One that caught my eye today was from former Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic, who currently writes a lot about music while dabbling a bit in politics as well. Befitting a fan in 2010, his tastes run all over the map, from a new M.I.A. single to Lil' Wayne's Tha Carter III to a Dark Side of the Moon cover album by the Flaming Lips. Of particular interest to myself, however, is his sections of Philip Glass's Satyagraha and Can's rarity/demos collection Zhengzheng Rikang. He also talks a little bit about Kraftwerk, his aversion to the term krautrock, and an import version of the Stone's Sticky Fingers. I get a peculiar thrill when my favorite artists talk about the music they enjoy, and if Novoselic doesn't float your boat, Amoeba has a ton of other videos available to watch right now. (via @KristNovoselic)


No comments: