Thursday, July 29, 2010

"Frontman/Hold On (I'm Calling)"



I probably should have posted this back when I reviewed the album, but in the couple of months since its release I continue to think about how unlikely a jump Ariel Pink has made with Before Today, his first record for the venerable 4AD label. Case in point, "Frontman/Hold On (I'm Calling)", an early demo version of what would eventually become 2010s best song, "Round and Round". Apparently this track was sent out last year with a few other demos on CD-R when one purchased AP product via mail order. Anyway, the skeleton of the song and the basic melodic turn is certainly there, but nevertheless it is amazing to think that all this nascent promise was seemingly spun so effortlessly into pure gold. Take a listen to the demo, as well as the finished product, after the jump.



No comments: