Monday, December 7, 2009

At the Movies - Top 10 of the Decade Countdown: #4

As Tony Scott and Michael Phillips allude to in this segment, they've selected two very different films for the #4 slot on their individual lists of the top 10 films of the decade. Phillips goes with the modestly crafted 2007 sensation Once, a film I like just fine but have no real connection with-- not a bad choice regardless. Scott, however, goes with a heavy-hitter in the form of Roman Polanski's Oscar-winning epic The Pianist. Here's a film I greatly admire, and which showed up on my personal top ten list way back in 2002. I really love how they can both agree that this is an even more piercing and possibly even more lasting work of holocaust-based cinema than even Steven Spielberg's personal triumph Schindler's List. High praise indeed. Watch the segment below.

2 comments:

Sam C. Mac said...

That's because "Schindler's List" is bad.

Stereo Sanctity said...

Well I wouldn't say it's bad, but it has never been one of my personal favorites either.