Monday, August 31, 2009

'The Observer' Names the Best British Films of the Last 25 Years



The Observer has just tallied a list from over 60 prominent voters to determine the best British film of the last quarter century. Unsurprisingly, Danny Boyle's Trainspotting came out on top, but there are many other more interesting picks later on down the list. I've never really thought about this particular distinction before, but off the top of my head I'd say Mike Leigh's Naked would be at or near the top of my list, followed somewhere by Control, Secrets & Lies and maybe even The Full Monty. Full list is outlined below, but head on over to The Observer for brief thoughts on each selection. (via Incontention)

25. The English Patient
24. 24 Hour Party People
23. My Summer of Love
22. Man on Wire
21. Riff-Raff
20. Red Road
19. Dead Man's Shoes
18. Shaun of the Dead
17. This is England
16. Hunger
15. Under the Skin
14. Naked
13. Control
12. Hope and Glory
11. Touching the Void
10. Four Weddings and a Funeral
9. Slumdog Millionaire
8. Ratcatcher
7. Sexy Beast
6. Nil by Mouth
5. My Beautiful Laundrette
4. Distant Voices, Still Lives
3. Secrets & Lies
2. Withnail & I
1. Trainspotting

No comments: