Sunday, December 21, 2008

Mick Foley Endorses "The Wrestler"

I know I said I was taking at break for a week, but I had to post this. I was always concerned about how Darren Aronofsky's new film The Wrestler would play with men (or women) in the wrestling profession. Well a ringing endorsement from the one and only Mick Foley has done wonders to quench my apprehension. This is a film you will be hearing a little about (okay, a lot) from me come next week. I liked his witty closing paragraph especially:

"There was one other minor note of disappointment for me: I never did detect any of myself in the movie. Believe me, I tried. Hey, if you are going to be an influence on a movie, it might as well be a great one like The Wrestler. Who knows, maybe I inspired Randy's ratty assortment of faded flannels. And a few people have suggested that I inspired that grisly wrestling scene. But I can claim with a clear conscience that I never used a staple gun on an opponent. Thumbtacks, yes; barbed wire, definitely; but never a staple gun. Maybe one day I will find out I did play some kind of role in the development of one of the great characters in modern movie history. I hope so. Because I kind of feel like I owe Mickey Rourke—you know, for that popcorn trick back in '82. " [Continue Reading]

[from Slate via Incontention]

No comments: