Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Headin to NYC...

...for the weekend, which means no more updates til Monday. This explains my frantic posting schedule this week, yet I'm still way behind. Next week (or soon after) should see reviews of the new albums from Fucked Up, Parts & Labor, Oxford Collapse, Mountain Goats and AGF. I don't think I can even force myself to review that new Of Montreal album though. I'll probably surface with some thoughts on it sometime next week, but in the meantime why don't you just go ahead and grab the band's last four records and play them all simultaneously. Then, and only then, will you come close to approximating the ridiculousness of Skeletal Lamping.

3 comments:

FIRONLINE said...

"Skeletal Lamping" was a huge disappointment for me, and I'm not giving it a pass just because they through everything at the record at once. No sir. --Sam

kevin said...

for me, skeletal lamping is one of the best albums of the year. in ten years, it's going to be the album people say they like from barnes' canon, to look cool. it's basically of montreal's "wowee zowee"; people are thrown off initially, but once you 'get it', whoa.

Jordan Minnesota said...

I've gotta agree with Sam on this one. Kevin, I've tried approaching the record from this "misunderstood masterpiece" viewpoint, but the record simply doesn't hold water. To put it directly, Kevin Barnes has finally found his way up his own ass.

Musically, Skeletal Lamping is accomplished. I've never minded prog-pop (The Fiery Furnaces are one of my very favorite modern bands), but what really hampers this record is the god awful lyrics. Nearly ever song features some amount of cringe inducing wordplay. I understand the whole Georgie Fruit-concept, but when you get down to it, it causes he record to come off a stupidly conceived and juvenile. While this may have been the point, I don't find Skeletal Lamping interesting outside of a few choice melodies, which are almost always upended by some on-the-nose lyrical flourish.

Ultimately I feel that Barnes would have been better served to bask in the glory of the great Hissing Fauna before returning to the studio. Just because you have a surplus of ideas doesn't make them good ones.