Sunday, January 6, 2008

The 1st Annual Stereo Sanctity Awards



I've done this in the past, but just not here on Stereo Sanctity. What it is is simple: If I where an Academy member, what films and performances would I deem worthy to garner my all-important vote. If you've read my top ten list, you should know my 5 Best Pic selections already, but beyond that, everything should be new. If things were right in the world, this is what the nominees would look like on Oscar nomination morning. Just don't hold your breath.

Winner in Bold:

Best Picture:

The Assassination Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
I'm Not There

Zodiac



Best Director:

Andrew Dominik - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood
Joel & Ethan Coen - No Country for Old Men
Todd Haynes - I'm Not There
David Fincher - Zodiac

This was a director's year if nothing else, which explains the 5/5 match up for Best Pic and Best Director. Julian Schnabel's work on The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was the only other possible inclusion here.


Best Actor:


Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Phillip Seymor Hoffman - Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Ryan Gosling - Lars and the Real Girl
Emile Hirsch - Into the Wild
Sam Riley - Control

This was tough category. Every performance here is outstanding. Day-Lewis probably takes the Oscar, but no one kept me transfixed like Gosling did as Lars Lindstrom. Truly emotional stuff.


Best Actress:


Julie Christie - Away From Her
Laura Linney - The Savages
Kerri Russell - Waitress
Ellen Page - Juno
Marion Cotillard - La Vie En Rose

Yet again this was a weak year for actresses. I didn't even like La Vie En Rose, so I couldn't really single out Cotillard, and Christie was really good in a one note performance. I still don't see why Linney and Russell haven't been getting more love, as they were truly impressive, but Ellen Page easily takes this prize. And I can't think of a better or more honest line reading all year than, "I don't really know what kind of girl I am..." .


Best Supporting Actor:

Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men
Hal Holbrook - Into the Wild
Casey Affleck - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Max Von Sydow - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Phillip Seymor Hoffman - Charlie Wilson's War

I can already see myself regretting not picking Bardem for his maniacal turn in No Country, but Holbrook left me reeling with emotion as the heart and soul of Into the Wild. They are both impossible performances to shake, for completely different reasons mind you, but today I'd go with Holbrook for the sole reason of bringing some much needed love to this great actor.


Best Supporting Actress:

Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone
Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There
Jennifer Garner - Juno
Samantha Morton - Control
Marissa Tomei - Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

All these performances are fantastic and it is really hard to single one out, but how can you possibly overlook what Blanchett did as Bob Dylan in I'm Not There? It's an uncanny approximation of mid-60s Zimmerman.


Best Original Screenplay:


Lars and the Real Girl
Juno
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

The Savages

Michael Clayton


What a stacked category. I love all these scripts with a passion, but Diablo Cody, taking cues from Heathers before her, nearly invented a new language with Juno, and I admire that immensely.


Best Adapted Screenplay:

No Country for Old Men
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
There Will Be Blood
Zodiac
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

This was the easiest category to call. A brilliant return to form for the Coen's, retaining their trademark wit and dark humor, they infused Cormac McCarthy's novel with a sinister yet deeply moving richness missing from standard thrillers.

"Everything....you have everything to gain..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I guess I need to see Control.

Isaiah Barney said...

How is Bourne Ultimatum not on there. This is a travesty of epic proportions.