Monday, November 19, 2007

APMAS Documentary Shortlist

Today the Academy announced their typically ridiculous short list of documentaries which will vie for the final 5 spots at the 80th Annual Academy Awards. I've always had a problem with the Documentary branch of the Academy, a small group of elitists who consistently snub modern classics like Hoop Dreams and Grizzly Man in favor of quote-unquote important films that no one has any interest in seeing. Nobody can look me in the eye and tell me that The King of Kong and My Kid Could Paint That aren't among the 15 best documentaries of the year. Heck, The King of Kong may be amongst the top 5 films of the year period. Another year another travesty. I look for No End in Sight to probably take this, although if I could vote I would go with Sicko I suppose.

The Complete List In alphabetical order:

"Autism: The Musical"
"Body of War"
"For the Bible Tells Me So"
"Lake of Fire"
"Nanking"
"No End in Sight"
"Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience"
"Please Vote for Me"
"The Price of Sugar"
"A Promise to the Dead: The Exile Journey of Ariel Dorfman"
"The Rape of Europa"
"Sicko"
"Taxi to the Dark Side"
"War/Dance"
"White Light/Black Rain"

No comments: