Monday, October 29, 2007

Stylus Magazine R.I.P.



Today is indeed a dark day, as indie-rock website
Stylus Magazine has announced their decision to close up shop. I've been feverishly reading Stylus for nigh-on 4 years, and I can unequivocally state that it change my life, both in how I listen to music and how I perceive it's place in modern times. It may be hard to believe, but I don't have a never-ending rolodex of symphonic art-rock bands and Swedish ambient producers to dive into whenever I need a fix. So Stylus had, up until and including this week, been a favorite stop for me and my unwavering search for new and inspiring music. The list of bands that they exposed to me is longer than my arm, but to name just a few that I wouldn't be enjoying if it weren't for their passion for both music and the power of the written word: Eluvium, Wolf Eyes, Benoit Pioulard, Patrick Wolf, The Moutain Goats, The Degaldos, Xiu Xiu, William Basinski etc etc etc...

My memories of the site are abundant, from their constant stream of best-of lists and endlessly entertaining columns, to their sometimes pompous writing - it all worked so well. I will never forget when they took the brave step and voted The Fiery Furnaces landmark album Blueberry Boat as the best record of 2004. No other site had the balls or the smarts to do that.
And they weren't all about music either, they had an excellent film critic staff as well, which hewed closely to the artistic side of cinema, which was always a refreshing change of pace compared to major publications and their by-the-numbers recommendations. Even as the are going out, they are leaving us with some great stuff though: by week's end there will be their requisite Best-of 2007 lists (truncated obviously, but nonetheless vital in my book), and a list of the 10 Best Zombie Films Of All Time. Yet all good things must come to an end I suppose, and I salute Stylus and their staff for imparting enough unnecessary knowledge in my brain to last a lifetime. I wouldn't have it any other way....

2 comments:

Gareth said...

well, i want to know what all the writers are doing now. particularly david holmes who seems to have the better taste in music. does anyone know?

Gareth said...

i meant films.