Friday, August 17, 2007

Jeff Buckley - I Know It's Over (Smiths cover)



A couple months ago, a compilation entitled So Real: Songs from Jeff Buckley was released, which I also reviewed. I stick by what I said - if you have his sole record Grace and either/or Live at Sin-e & Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk, then this comp is totally useless. There is one thing that salvages the cash in though, and that is Buckley's heartbreaking rendition of The Smiths' The Queen is Dead classic "I Know It's Over". It was recorded live and the intimacy bleeds through. Buckley is one of the few that can actually hold his own with Morrissey in the vocal department, making this one of the few successful Smiths covers I've ever heard. I know its over ten years old, but this is still one of my favorite musical discoveries of the year.



No comments: