Monday, July 30, 2007

R.I.P. Michelangelo Antonioni 1912 - 2007



First there was the untimely passing of Ingmar Bergman on Monday, and now it is being reported that the very same day Michelangelo Antonioni - the visionary director behind such masterworks as L'Avventura, L'Eclisse and the seminal art film Blow-Up - has also passed on. On a personal level this is sadder news for me, as I count Antonioni as one of my very favorite filmmakers. Blow-Up in particular has never left my consciousness for very long since the first time I saw it - it continues to have an influence on me to this day. Strains of Antonioni's work can be found in directors as disparate as David Lynch, Wes Anderson and of course Brian DePalma who pretty much remade Blow-Up as Blow-Out in 1981. Antonioni stands right up their with Fellini as the greatest Italian director of all time. He will be missed.

Scorsese on Antonioni (thanks to Awards Daily for alerting me to this)



Clip from the stunningly trippy Blow-Up



Blow Up trailer



L'Avventura clip


No comments: